ýҕl

Skip to main content

The independent source for health policy research, polling, and news.

Subscribe Follow Us
  • Trump 2.0

    Trump 2.0

    • Agency Watch
    • State Watch
    • Rural Health Payout
  • Public Health

    Public Health

    • Vaccines
    • CDC & Disease
    • Environmental Health
    All Public Health
  • Audio Reports

    Audio Reports

    • What the Health?
    • Healthcare Helpline
    • ýҕl Health News Minute
    • An Arm and a Leg
    • Health Hub
    • HealthQ
    • Silence in Sikeston
    • Epidemic
    All Audio
  • Special Reports

    Special Reports

    • Bill Of The Month
    • Common Ground
    • Diagnosis: Debt
    • The Body Shops
    • Priced Out
    • Guns, Race, and Profit
    • Broken Rehab
    • Dead Zone
    • Denied
    • Opioid Settlement Tracking
    • Eleven Minutes
    All Special Reports
  • More Topics

    More Topics

    • Elections
    • Healthcare Costs
    • Insurance
    • Prescription Drugs
    • Health Industry
    • Immigration
    • Reproductive Health
    • Technology
    • Rural Health
    • Race and Health
    • Aging
    • Mental Health
    • Affordable Care Act
    • Medicare
    • Medicaid
    • Children’s Health
    All Topics

  • Medicare Advantage Billing Probe
  • School Vaccine Mandates
  • Weight Loss Drugs Coverage
  • Opioid Settlement Money
  • Abortion Pill Access

Morning Briefing

Summaries of health policy coverage from major news organizations

  • Email

Wednesday, Aug 19 2026 UPDATED 8:59 AM

Full Issue

Hundreds Left Without Help After NYC's 911 System Breaks Down For About 7 Hours

The issue occurred Tuesday from 3-10 a.m., resulting in nearly 1,700 calls not connecting. After accounting for duplicate calls, "we believe up to 400 New Yorkers may have been unable to connect with a 911 call taker,” a spokesperson for the mayor's office said.

Part of New York City’s 911 system broke down on Tuesday, preventing hundreds of callers from reaching an emergency operator, a spokesman for Mayor Zohran Mamdani said. The temporary breakdown of the system led to the failure of nearly 1,700 calls — about a third of the total made to a center in the Bronx — to reach emergency operators, the spokesman, Jeremy Edwards, said. Callers and call takers were unable to hear each other, he said. (Goldenberg, Cramer and Marcius, 8/18)

Harvard said Tuesday that it had agreed to pay $53 million to settle claims that body parts that had been donated for research were stolen and sold by a former manager of the morgue at the university’s medical school. The former manager, Cedric Lodge, 58, was sentenced to eight years in prison in December after pleading guilty to one count of interstate transportation of stolen goods. The university fired him in 2023. (Cerro, 8/18)

The revelation that a Liberian government official has been running Twin Cities group homes from thousands of miles away has led to bipartisan calls for reform in Minnesota and divided reactions in West Africa. Despite the outcry echoing on both sides of the Atlantic, the Walz administration has remained silent. The investigation, which was jointly reported by MPR News and its national investigative unit, APM Reports, found that the state of Minnesota paid $36 million dollars to group home companies linked to Sekou Dukuly over the past decade. But since the beginning of 2024, Dukuly has also served as the managing director of Liberia’s state-owned port system. (Peak, Roth and Lu, 8/18)

Wendy Brennan agreed to participate in a study examining how arsenic exposure can affect children’s cognitive development primarily because her young daughter wanted the free T-shirt. It was 2009, and the family had lived on their property in the small Kennebec County town of Mount Vernon for eight years. Brennan said she had no reason to fear the results. But when researchers came to test their drinking water, Brennan learned that her family’s well tested nearly six times above the Federal Environmental Protection Agency’s maximum exposure guidelines for arsenic. (Forbes, 8/18)

Meta is once again on trial over dangers its platforms may pose to children. It is once again arguing that it works tirelessly to keep them safe. A pivotal trial for the parent company of Instagram and Facebook kicked off in a California federal court Tuesday, with four states seeking billions of dollars in damages as well as fundamental changes to how Meta runs its platforms. (Ortutay and Huamani, 8/19)

This is part of the Morning Briefing, a summary of health policy coverage from major news organizations. Sign up for an email subscription.
Newsletter icon

Sign Up For Our Newsletter

Stay informed by signing up for the Morning Briefing and other emails:

Recent Morning Briefings

  • Today, August 19
  • Tuesday, August 18
  • Monday, August 17
  • Friday, August 14
  • Thursday, August 13
  • Wednesday, August 12
More Morning Briefings
RSS Feeds
  • ýҕl
  • Special Reports
  • Morning Briefing
  • About Us
  • Republish Our Content
  • Contact Us

Follow Us

  • RSS

Sign up for emails

Join our email list for regular updates based on your personal preferences.

Sign up
  • Editorial Policy
  • Privacy Policy

© 2026 KFF